Wednesday 2 February 2011

start of the journey....

well this could be the start of something... we have decided to look into emigrating to New Zealand. I plan to use this blog to document the ups and downs of the process so hopefully we can look back on it if/when we get out there.

Why are we thinking of emigrating? I suppose it's because that while we are happy and comfortable in our life in the UK we feel we could be enjoying life more. We are a fairly typical family - 2 children little girl (3 years) and a baby boy (3 months), modern estate house in a small town in the Midlands, husband works in IT and I am currently a 'stay-at-home' Mum. We used to live in London but moved up here to be close to family when we started our own little family but we don't really feel 'at home' here. I feel like we are always waiting for something to happen something that will improve the status quo.

I know my husband isn't happy in his job and he has a fairly hellish commute so we don't get a great deal of time to spend as a family. I can't see a way back to work for me that doesn't involve some serious childcare choices - I know that would be true in NZ too but hopefully wouldn't need to travel as far for a good job. So maybe moving to NZ would give us more time as a family, a better work/home balance and a better quality of life.

Since making the decision to look into it at the weekend I have been hitting the internet sites and can spend hours on the expat forums, looking at NZ property and job searching. The thought of going out there has me more excited and energised than I have been for a long time - similar to the excitement I felt when I found out I was pregnant. We are planning to go to a Australia/New Zealand emigration exhibition in a few weeks and will make a decision then.

No comments:

Post a Comment